2018 CNF CLEANROOM ACCESS RESTRICTIONS FOR CNF REU INTERNS
From the moment you arrive in Ithaca through to Monday, June 11th, you are NOT allowed into the cleanroom AT ALL, except as part of the CNF short course (CNF TCN).
NEW USER TRAINING:
You'll receive your CNF New User Training on Monday and Tuesday, June 11th and 12th. There will be a detailed schedule for the second week, covering your New User Training and relevant tool trainings.
Note #1: Reminder, the mandatory dress code is online at http://www.cnf.cornell.edu/cnf_dresscode.html
SECOND, THIRD and FOURTH WEEKS (Starting Wednesday, June 13th):
Assuming you pass your New User training, you are on the following restricted hours starting on Wednesday, June 13th …..
1. Monday through Friday, you may be in the cleanroom from 8:00 a.m. to 6:00 p.m. without (or with) your mentor, because there are staff in the cleanroom who can assist you if necessary. You may be in the cleanroom from 6:00 p.m. to 11:00 p.m. WITH your mentor. (“With your mentor” means in the same room as your mentor, not in a different sections from each other….)
2. Monday through Friday, 11:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m., you are not allowed in the cleanroom.
3. Weekends; You are not allowed in the cleanroom at all from 11:00 p.m. Friday evening through to 8:00 a.m. Monday morning, period. Not even with your mentor.
FIFTH WEEK (Starting Monday, July 2nd):
If you observe these restrictions and do not make any mistakes during the restricted hours, then once we get to MONDAY, JULY 2ND —
4. You are allowed in the cleanroom on your own, Monday-Sunday, from 8:00 a.m.-11:00 p.m.
5. Any CNF REU intern who demonstrates that they cannot follow these four weeks of restrictions or other lab policies will NOT be given the evening unrestricted access. So entering the cleanroom after 11:00 p.m. before July 2nd will get you some measure of additional restricted hours.
NOTE #2: Wednesday is the 4th of July and a staff holiday. Buddy system rules will be in effect all day on the 4th!
NOTE #3: You may not be in the cleanroom from 11:00 p.m. to 8:00 a.m. on any day, with a mentor or not….
ONE HUNDRED HOURS!
Once you reach 100 hours in the cleanroom with significant tool time included, arrange to meet with our Lab Safety Manager, Phil Infante. At that time, Phil may choose to release you to …
6. Unrestricted access.
NOTE #4: We will check on badging in / out and cameras to ensure you are following our restrictions.
NOTE #5: There will be other undergraduate students using our cleanroom via REU programs other than ours, including the KEP and PARADIM REU Program. They have different restrictions than you. Avoid getting them in trouble and don't assume they are working under the same rules as you are!
return to cnf reu page
Back to Top